2018

2018
2018 California

Sunday, 9 December 2012

Antique-ing

I am quite positive that there are an infinite number of places to purchase antiques in Singapore.  I am going to suppose that many of those are out of our price range.  After the art gallery on Saturday, we had some time to fill before dinner, so we went to visit a place that we were familiar with by name:  Laura Lee's Antiques.  The first thing about her, specifically, is that she'll do an outdoor show up on base several times a year.  The second thing about her is that she is one of the rare, if not only ones, in Singapore that ship in and sell Terra-Cotta Warriors.  (I am on the list for a certain size...and will do a post of it's own when it arrives.)

We knew that she had a warehouse full of "stuff."  So, we decided to check it out.  I have my own personal opinion on the furniture she sells, based on the opinions of co-workers, naval families, and their acquaintances and was not really looking to purchase much of that.  We did enjoy walking around looking at a lot of it.  She also sells a lot of "old stone."  All of these items in her warehouse are pulled out of villages from northern China.

Here's a glimpse of what we saw.
Rows and rows of dressers and cabinets (see Allison at the end?):
 Ornate and detailed pieces:
 Unique chairs:
 Chairs, artwork, decorative items, tables, benches, etc.:
 Lots and lots of stone pieces:
 I ended up with this old bronze pagoda, which can house a tea light:
 I couldn't pass this great deal, and unique trio:
And, I really liked the decorative ladders that they had, particularly in red (I have two "shawls" Jeremy picked up from East Timor on it):

2 comments:

  1. This is Bruce. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your activities. Cari and I talk about the things you're doing and are hoping to visit at some point. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I love those pieces and the pigoda (sp?) the ladder is lovely against the wall with the shawls on it! Wow! makes the states seem so ..blah!

    ReplyDelete