2018

2018
2018 California

Sunday, 4 August 2013

McKenna starts Preschool

We have arrived at that time in which the youngest child is off to start school.  Granted it is only preschool.  But still, a schedule and expectations none the less.

The fees for Pre-K up at the Singapore American School are beyond hefty, and the enrollment fee and registration fees are gargantuan.  Jeremy's work covers all of it beginning with kindergarten, so we enrolled McKenna in a local preschool (which is still on the expensive side of U.S. ones) until then.

She will go to one of the local ones near the neighborhood.  We can walk there.  She will work on reading, writing, math and Chinese.  Yes, Chinese.  Yes, they speak English as the primary language within the program.  She goes 1/2 of a day.

Her first day was Thursday, August 1.  I'd had her up at the school in February, when I enrolled her.  She'd spent the next many months telling me that she didn't want to go.  So, I had her in there again the week before starting when I was paying tuition and allowed her to wander around after all the kids were gone.  Suddenly, she decided that she was excited to go!  Good thing.  I dropped her off on the first day and she said "good-bye" to me at the front door without any hesitation.  I did stick around because I figured it'd be best to show her where to place her shoes (no, no one wears shoes inside), set her book bag, stand in line to have her temperature taken (they are a little "preventative"), etc.  She was happy when I picked her back up later in the day and seemed to have had the same experience the next one.

McKenna 1) is almost 3-1/2 feet tall; 2) loves her Barbie backpack; 3) currently smiles without showing her teeth and; 4) loves her pink sandals:




1 comment: