2018

2018
2018 California

Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Lion Dance

Lion Dance on our street!  I don't think we can express enough to let others outside of our current geographical region how BIG of a deal Chinese New Year is.  There is a lot of tradition that surrouonds this "holiday."  I have been waiting for the opportunity to see an "intimate" Lion Dance.  By this, I mean one in the neighborhood.  (I left dinner cooking on the stove to see it!)  The one I caught pictures and video of was on our street, just up a few doors at the neighbor's house.

Here's some fascinating history (thanks again be to Wikipedia):

Lion dance is a form of traditional dance in Chinese culture, in which performers mimic a lion's movements in a lion costume.  The Lion Dance is often mistakenly referred to as Dragon Dance.  An easy way to tell the difference is that a lion is operated by two people, while a dragon needs many.  Also in a Lion Dance, performers' faces are covered since they are inside the lion.  In a Dragon Dance, the performers can be seen since the dragon is held upon poles.

I willl not go too much into it, but to understand the extent of tradition, meaning, and importance of it, there are Northern and Southern Lions.  The Southern Lions are also further divided by several styles, regions, and cultures.  Different colors of fur on the head, stripes, bows, etc. help one watching to figure it out...if they know!

The Lion Dance is accompanied by beating of drums, cymbals, and gongs synchronized with the lion's movements and actions.

At CNY, lion dancer troupes from the Chinese martial arts schools or Chinese guild and associations perform the traditional custom of "cai ching."  This literally means "plucking of the greens" a quest by the lion to pluck the vegetables (like lettuce) and fruits (like oranges).  The lion will approach the "green" like a curious cat, eating it and spitting it out, or sometimes leaving a nice arrangement.  The Lion Dance is believed to bring good luck and fortune.














 



1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is totally amazing. I know how big Chinese New Year is in San Francisco, and I can only imagine experiencing that in Singapore! So very, very amazing!

    ReplyDelete