2018

2018
2018 California

Monday, 19 October 2015

The Things They Say...

...or don't say, and no matter the age.

I slightly regret not recording all the funny little things the kids said in "those years", that 2-5 years old age where those little funny things just come out.

I did have an incredibly lovely conversation shared with me by our friend Ross Garner about our 9-year-old:

Just a quick share of a story on Parker.


Parker and I were sitting next to each other in Primary. He was as normal a bit busy in his chair. Sister Garrett was teaching a lesson on prayer. She asked. "what is Prayer." Parker's hand shot up, but when she called on him he was stuck for 10 seconds or more so I whispered its "talking to our Heavenly Father" into his ear. He then answer Sister Garrett with "Its communicating with our Heavenly Father" and then further explained "connecting with him".

 
That was a cool moment when I learned I needed to refocus my purpose in prayers and do as I hear Parker do.

 
Its super that Parker is always the first to want to say an opening or closing prayer. He never balks while some of the kids seem to think its embarrassing or not cool. Its clear that he understands the what he said. Its "connecting" with our Father in Heaven.

 
That was the highlight of my week.

 
Ross
 
And, of course, in the same week also had an additional "ah ha" conversation with our 15-year-old.  In summary, I have recently been having educational conversations with her about anything that she has just not gained life experiences on.  Each conversation has been ended by me saying one particular key phrase.  Somehow, magically, that phrase seemed to end the conversation and work.  About the fourth conversation came along and I was trying to explain why one pays church tithes on the amount that is earned (from a paycheck) and not the amount that one actually makes (but doesn't bring home in a paycheck).  Again, she was not comprehending the logic and I ended the conversation with the now habitual "You're just going to have to trust me because I've been doing this for a reallllllly, long time."  However, this time I also noticed the smirk that she gave after this phrase.  So, the conversations weren't ending because I had "won", articulated a point, or anything else.  It was because I, personally, was vocalizing how OLD I was and she was thoroughly reveling in this thought!
 
I don't even still have a word for my thought on that, but kuddos to her for NOT saying anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment