2018

2018
2018 California

Friday, 2 May 2014

Phi Phi Island--day 3

We woke up and enjoyed another morning in Phi Phi.  We caught a water taxi back to the main ferry terminal/main part of the island.  Our "driver" took us up and around...the opposite way we came in.  I had no idea what we were missing on the "drive."  I think we'd like to own a boat and travel the world now.






Since we came around the other side, "parking" was a different experience.  I'd been warned/educated, but did not realize this would actually happen to us until our arrival.  These pictures were taken from the boat.  I don't have any taken from the water...while it was a "great" cultural experience, I was too perturbed.  Our "driver" did not "pull up" as close to the beach as some of the other "drivers."  This meant that we would have to get out and "walk"...literally.  Jeremy carried all (okay only two large suitcases and a large backpack), the kids walked (Parker was almost up to his waist) and I had my backpack and McKenna.  I really, really should have taken a few pictures, but you can probably imagine a few of the conversations going on.


After changing some people's clothes (particularly underwear) we checked our luggage in to the ferry ticketing counter for holding and scouted out "downtown" Phi Phi.  It's all cheap trinkets and swimwear.  We found an Italian restaurant (which is never phenomenal anywhere in Asia) and took a stroll down the coast of the bay where we took a few moments to relax:


We arrived back at the Krabi terminal ferry and decided to longtail it to our hotel there (vice taxi and long tail).  They brought us into Railay Bay East (not where you want to stay because the water is the opposite of what you go to these places for) where we walked about 10-ish minutes between the backsides of hotels to Railay Bay West (our personal opinion is this is where you want to be in all of Krabi).

The reason why these boats are called "long tail" is because their big motor sits in the boat (right next to the handles for steering) and there is a long pole (at least 10 feet long) that dips the propeller into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment